Thursday, November 6, 2008

Faux Dew Drops and a Blizzard

Here is what I had to get through to feed the birds early this morning: Lots of snow! With 70+ mph winds, it's hard to tell how much, but the news is saying 1-4 feet depending on your location in the Black Hills. We're up high in the central Hills, so we're probably in the middle, as the northern Black Hills is getting the most (as usual). Anyway, I've got a really cool experiment to show you after this picture (see the imprint of the door on the snow?):



I saw on www.splitcoaststampers.com that someone mentioned making faux Dew Drops (those little acrylic colored dots used to embellish cards and scrapbook pages).

  1. I started with a piece of waxed paper laid over a Stampin' Up! grid paper so I could evenly space my drops.
  2. I decided to make batches of each of the 6 In Colors, so I picked my first color and off to the left side on the waxed paper I dropped a few ink drops for use later of my first color.
  3. Now I dropped 2 generous drops of Stampin' Up! Crystal Effects in one grid square on top of one another to make one faux Dew Drop. I did a whole row of 16 at once.
  4. Quickly, I used a ball-point paper clippy thing that came on one of my husband's dress shirts (I finally found a use for them! You could also use the ball point end of a straight pin.) to dip into the ink puddle and then touched the first faux Dew Drop center with it, going all the way down to the bottom and hitting the waxed paper. Got another ink drop, touched another dew drop, etc. until the whole row is colored.
  5. Then I did my second row of Crystal Effects drops and went back and colored each one. I did one row at a time so they were still wet and would take the ink. While I was working I could see that the ink was spreading throughout the dew drop.
  6. I did this for all 6 In Colors and then did a double row of just clear, too.
  7. They sat to dry from 10:30 am until 4:00 pm and were pretty much dry (my climate here is extremely dry, so if you are humid there, you may need more dry time). They were still a little flexible and will stick to each other, so I recommend leaving them on the waxed paper until you want to use one.




From left to right: clear, Baja Breeze, Tangerine Tango, Pacific Point, Pink Pirouette, Kiwi Kiss, and Riding Hood Red:

Are these pretty, or what?!!! And now, I have a bunch of matching In Color embellishments to use! You can adhere them to your cards or scrapbook pages with Mini Glue Dots or more Crystal Effects.


Now, please help me name our new Stampin' Up! faux dew drops! I'll go first: Crystal Drops? Who's next?
In my next post today: I made my own Stickles, too! And I'll have a card to show you with my new stickles dew drops!
Thanks for visiting, and don't forget to help me name these cute little dots!
Michelle